Get free bus, train and coach travel if you are blind

If you are blind and live in Scotland, the National Entitlement Card (NEC) Blind Persons' Scheme gives you free travel on most buses trains and coaches across Scotland.

The Scottish National Blind Persons' Scheme gives you free travel on most buses, and adds free travel on coach and rail services to your NEC card.

You can get buses to and from Carlisle for free, and get concessions on ferries in Scotland.

You can apply for a new card, or a replacement for a lost, stolen, damaged or expired card. It takes about 2 weeks to get your card after you have applied.

Free bus travel for a companion

If you travel with a companion, they'll also get free travel on buses throughout Scotland.

Check your eligibility

You are eligible for a pass if you are severely sight impaired (blind) and have a registration certificate or letter from the RNIB, or if you are sight impaired (partially sighted) and you have a letter from DWP showing you get one of these benefits:

  • Attendance Allowance
  • high or middle rate care component DLA (Disability Living Allowance)
  • standard or enhanced daily living component of PIP (Personal Independence Payment)

You'll need to bring your registration certificate or letter when you apply.

Apply in person

Call 030 33 33 3004 and ask for an appointment to make an assisted application at one of our customer service centres.

Staff will help you check your documents, take your photograph and complete your application.

Bring proof of your identity

You'll need to bring valid, current, documents to prove your identity:

  • proof of who you are, for example your birth certificate (unless your name has changed), passport, driving licence or marriage certificate
  • proof of your address, for example a utility bill, bank statement, TV licence, Council Tax bill, or a letter from HMRC or DWP

Bring photographic evidence

You'll need to bring your current passport or photo driving licence.

If you do not have photographic evidence

If you do not have a current passport or photo driving licence, bring a passport-style photo signed and dated by a referee.

Check who can be a referee