Apply for a road permit or closure

Apply to do work on, close or occupy part of any of our public roads, pavements or car parks. There is a charge for these services. If you do not pay in advance you may have to pay double the charge.

Apply for a road closure

If you want to close one of our roads to carry out roadworks, or for an event, you must request a road closure.

You must give at least 6 weeks notice. There is a charge for this service if we give permission for the road closure.

Who can apply to close a road

We usually only approve applications to close a road from:

  • event organisers
  • traffic management contractors
  • building contractors
  • utility contractors

Members of the public who want to apply must give evidence that the application is signed by a person or company with New Roads and Street Works Act 1991 accreditation.

Apply for a road closure